Tuesday 11 June 2013

Selfies


She doesn't seem to be into me.  I don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I mean, we've got loads in common, and we flirted really well via messenger, but there's something off now we're face to face.  I excuse myself and nip to the bathroom.
    In the cubicle I take a quick snap of my outfit and post it: Pretty snappy?
    By the time I've finished my wee it's already got 15 thumbsup and two shares.  That's pretty good.
    I wash my hands, run a bit of extra water through my hair, touch the mirror and drag the snapshot square to frame my face, pull my most alluring expression, grab a shot and hit share.  I can feel my mobile buzzing with approval as I walk back to the table.  I've set it to chatcatch in the hopes of capturing a few exchanges, to make sure that people don't think I'm saying anything stupid.
    She's just finished her Mojito, so I order us another couple on the tabletop.
    "You said that you work in the music industry?" she smiles.
    "Yeah," I pause for effect, "I work in a record store."
    She doesn't laugh.
    "Nah, I'm joking," I glance down to my pocket, I want to see if anyone on chatcatch thought that funny or just lame, "I do P.R. for up and coming bands."
    "Cool, any I would have heard of?"
    "Probably not.  But, hopefully you will one day soon!"
    She doesn't seem impressed, I got some thumbsup for that from a few followers though.  I wish I could find a moment to nab a quick shot of her, get some feedback.  Or, maybe I can try and type-up something she says and post that.  I wish there was an update to chatcatch that posted things other people said to you automatically.
    "You work in a bar in East Ham, right?"
    "No," she smiles at the waiter who brings over the two fresh Mojitos - more of a reaction that I've got so far - and takes a quick sip, "I'm taking my Bar exam."
    "Oh, so you're a mixologist or something?"
    "I'm going to be a barrister."
    "In a coffee shop."
    "In a court."
    "They have coffee shops in court?"
    She snorts a little laugh, straw perched on her teeth, and takes a quick glug.  It feels like a little victory, I hopes she knows that - aside from the first genuine mistake - I was playing dumb.  I decide to make sure.
    "You specialize in, um, human rights law, yes?"
    "Ding! Correct.  Well done Mr. P.R."
    I mime doffing an imaginary cap humbly.  Wish I could have videYOUed that, it probably looked super cute.  Still, maybe things will loosen up a bit now.
    She checks her mobile, her face drops a little.
    "Aw, shoot! My friend is staying with my this weekend, well, I thought she was getting in around ten, turns out she's just landed.  Look, I'm really sorry," she's already gathering her things together, "but I can't leave her stranded, so I'm going to have to head to meet her."
    I'm a little caught off-guard, "Oh, ok."
    "I had a nice time," she leans forward and gives me a little hug and then heads for the door.
    I take a quick pic of myself with the two half-drunk Mojitos: Oh well, more for me... :(
    I get a shoutback: Hey, you're geotagged in Bad Soup, I'm 5 mins away, don't move!
    I reply: Ok. But don't expect the drinks to still be here! LOL ;)
    By the time Katy arrives I've done a pretty decent sweep of her profile, we've not got a lot in common really, like films and music and telly and stuff, but after earlier it's nice to have someone to drink with so quickly.
    We get on, nothing special, though I play act it up a bit, take a fair few shots of us with ever increasingly more elaborate drinks.  We head to a bar with bowling lanes and get some great pics of us messing about there too.  After that we jump into a taxi and go to a party some friends are throwing in a riverside warehouse.
    I've had loads of thumbsups and shares, not just of the pics, but of some videos I put online out the sunroof of the cab and of my reflection in the river getting splashed away by my own piss!  Someone commented on a shot of the party: Well jelz.
    The next day I wake up next to Katy, we're on a sofa still in the warehouse, I manage to get up without disturbing her and head to the bathroom.  They've got a snapshot mirror here, so I quickly muss up my hair and take a pic: Hangover face!
    LOL!
    Aw, hot.
    Oh yeah, totally ruff. :D
    Then I notice I've got a text from Anne, it says: Hey, sorry I had to dash off last night... GRR, FRIENDS!!!  But I did have a nice time, and it would be good to see you again?
    And for a second I think that's sweet and all, but then I remember how much work it was just trying to get her to seem like she was having a good time.  And I look at the thumbsup number rising next to my last picture and smile, because I don't need to try, people like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment